Sunday, July 26, 2009

Recovering in Mendoza

So apparently I must have been tired, because I have slept at least 12 hours each of the last 2 nights. Other than sleeping, I've been eating LOTS of really good food. Sole is a phenomenal cook and the restaurants we've been to are really good too. Sole, Ariel (her boyfriend), and I had dinner at a local place last night and I ordered a Hawaiian pizza. It was very different than I expected. I couldn't read every word on the menu, but it was AMAZING. The crust was covered in black sugar with mozzarella cheese, ham, pineapple, and candied cherries. It was delicious! We have wine or beer with at least one meal a day and its fun to try. Today I slept in...again... and in the early afternoon Sole and Ariel took me and another girl Whitney up to the top of a hill in San Martín Park. We had a picnic on the top and hiked around a bit. It was kinda like being on Mt Evans only not quite as high. Then we drove around the city. This place is simply wonderful! And I LOVE the idea of a siesta (nap) at 5pm before a 10pm dinner. Everything is so relaxed and the people are wonderful. Tomorrow we are finally reuniting for more orientation and hopefully we'll be getting cellphones so that we can all keep in touch. Tuesday we have our exam to determine what class level we'll be in and then the classes (at least with the program) will begin...

Other interesting notes, the program director, José, is awesome! He's very friendly and entertaining. In Buenos Aires during one session he made us have "kissing lessons" because the traditional way to greet people is with a kiss on the cheek....and so we had to practice. :) Slightly awkward, but still entertaining. For the first time in my life I'm part of a program that also ENCOURAGES (even pushes maybe) dating. Apparently it would be good for our spanish skills to have a relationship while we're down here. Interesting to hear that from a director instead of dating being forbidden.

Anywho...I love it here. I'm starting to get settled and learn a bit of the city. I'm sure it will get better with time too. Spanish is also starting to get easier (with plenty of help from the dictionary). I'm starting to miss everyone too...its hard to even comprehend being away for 5 months. bittersweet experience I guess. :) I'll pass on more details soon.

All my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment