Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Details of the Upcoming Adventure

Hey Everyone! As you all know, I am leaving next Tuesday July 21st to spend 5 months in Argentina through a study abroad program with IFSA-Butler. I will be attending an orientation, taking classes at the local university, living with a host family, and working on my spanish skills!

In the last few weeks, I have received multiple e-mails and messages from the coordinators for the program regarding last minute details and updates. As many of you may know, it is currently winter in Argentina and the H1-N1 virus (aka Swine Flu) is becoming a huge issue. As a result, start dates for classes at the universities have been delayed 2 weeks. However, our program will still continue as planned and our orientation has been extended to cover the extra time.

Last night I received a very exciting e-mail message from a woman names Soledad Vicenty. She is going to be my host mother in Argentina!!! What a relief to know that I finally have a name and face to put with the country. Now I feel like I truly have a place to go rather than some foggy perception of a "host family" that has not yet been specified. She seems wonderfully nice and is a 31 year-old chef! I can't wait to meet her in about a week.

Finally, as I prepare to leave I want to see as many friends as possible before I go, so if you are free on this Friday July 17th from 2-6 (or later) I have having a goodbye party at Clement Park (shelter #2) and would LOVE to see you all there!

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to passing on details of my adventure through this blog. Please feel free to comment and send messages to Laurel.Story@du.edu so that I can try to keep up with all of your exciting adventures as well!

Hugs and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment