Friday, August 7, 2009

More Adventures!

Hey everyone! I'm sorry its been nearly a week since I wrote my last post. Things are getting busier as I start looking at classes and try to decide what to take. Classes at the universities officially start on Monday and us foreign exchange students have 2 weeks of "shopping" time to attend classes that interest us and figure out which ones we're actually going to take. Its crazy complicated (especially with 2 universities), but it will all work out soon!

So, last weekend on Sunday I went with my family and some friends to a place called San Juan. This is not only the province to the north of Mendoza, but also a city/shrine about 3 hours away by bus. We left the house at 7:30am which was absurdly early foe here! On the bus there they played The Departed (in spanish of course) which was entertaining although I slept most of the way. Once we got there, the first order of business was paying homage to the saint, La Difunta Correra, who the shrine is dedicated to. The legend goes that this woman was walking through the desert with her baby son on a mission to help her husband who was in the army but she got lost and died of thirst. Two days later people found her body and her son had somehow survived by drinking her milk. She's honestly more like a demi-god than a saint and the people here pray to her often kinda like a goddess of promises. When their promise is granted they come to pay homage to her and bring a piece of whatever was granted to them (like a mini-replica of their house or their wedding dress etc). Its really quite amazing. To reach the shrine at the top of the hill you have to walk up a long, winding, covered set of stairs. Then people pray at the shrine, light a candle with a prayer, and often bring a bottle of water to leave for her as well. It was a wonderful experience. Then we had lunch and walked around the stalls looking at all the different things for sale. One of Sole's friends was apparently concerned about my because I didn't say much all day. The truth is that I'm still nervous about talking to native people and saying something stupid. However, by the end of the day I was talking more. After a few hours the bus came back to get us and we watched What Happens in Vegas on the way back. Upon arriving at the bus terminal it was straight to an asado (bbq) with a bunch of Sole's friends. It was a blast, but we had to leave early so that I could study for my exam on Monday.

Monday...I had class and an orientation at UNCuyo (the large public university). The transportation system here is so interesting. Sometimes the bus I need to take arrives and sometimes not. Today was one of the not days and by the time I realized that it was too late for a 30 minute walk so I ended up taking a cab... I've got to figure out another method for the bus system! :) Other than that, the day was pretty uneventful.

Tuesday...I had another orientation (this time for Congreso, the private university), VISA orientation (which is a very long and complicated process) and then class. Between it was a very hurried lunch at home (which of course was delicious as usual). After class, SIESTA!!! I'm loving the new schedule here! Its way different, but much more relaxed than at home in the US.

Wednesday...class and an orientation for the faculty I'm interested in taking classes in at UNCuyo. It seems pretty nice, so we'll see what happens.

Thursday...class and nothing else, so I got to sleep in and then come back and take a nap! I haven't slept this much in years. We also went out last night to another bar that was doing Karaoke (I of course did not participate, but enjoyed watching). Then it was back home to bed around 5am...again with the VERY different schedule!

Today I woke up feeling absolutely awful, and barely rolled out of bed in time to make it to catch the bus, which as luck would have it was not running today. So instead, it was I who was nearly running (because I had the time and didn't want to pay for a taxi) to class. After class, NAP!!! Then Sole took me and another student, Whitney, to a concert at a local bar where her boyfriend's band was playing. They were AMAZING! The girl who sings is only 18 and they sound great! It was a ton of fun and very relaxing.

Tomorrow I'm going with the IFSA-Butler group on an excursion all day entitled Arte, Vino, y Tango (Art, Wine, and Tango). I'm SUPER excited about it and will be sure to write all the details when I get back. :) I really am enjoying everything here. Although I do miss home, my family, my friends, etc. Every day it gets easier to be here though. My language skills are improving rapidly as is my confidence. I'm a lot happier finding my way around and walking places to explore the city. I hope you all are doing well. Know that I miss you and think of you often!

All my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment