Saturday, August 1, 2009

Finished 1 Week in Mendoza!!!

Hey everyone. I'm sorry its been a few days since I've written. Our language class for the program started on Wednesday and I've had hw every night. :( Seriously a bummer! Oh well, I'm starting to know my way around parts of the city a lot better, which is pretty cool. I have no problem getting to and from the University by myself. On Tuesday we waited for the bus for 40 minutes and I ended up being late for class, so the next day we were there super early. I've got it down to a science now. To make it to class at 2:30, I have to catch the 1:45 bus, which puts me at school at 2...at least I'm not late! The bus only seems to be coming once an hour right now, but Sole says that when classes start there will be busses all the time.

As for the rest of the week, I had class every day for about 3 hours and then came home to take a nap until around 8pm. Dinner is usually around 10, but there are days when we don't eat until close to 11pm!!! Its definitely taking some getting used to, but I'm really enjoying it. I was braved going out for an evening on the town for the first time on Thursday night. I live in the center of the city, but the bars are about 20 minutes from where I live and no one lives real close to me, so I have to leave by myself and meet up with people at the bar. So Thursday night I decided to go out and got directions to the bar and directions from Sole on how to get there. Well the guy on the trolley confused me when I got on and so when we got to my stop (thanks to the fact that I was confused and that there are no street signs) I definitely missed it and the driver went to the next block where the bar I was going to is located and stopped saying, "This isn't a real stop, but I'll let you off here. You're very beautiful." I must have blushed a million shades red and literally leapt off the trolley. Again thanks to no signs, I was promptly lost and had to ask a transit person for help. Then right after that I bumped into some girls from my program. Definitely not my cup of tea and I was certainly scared for a few minutes, but everything was just fine. We met up with the a bunch of others and the 13 of us had a great time chilling in a bar for about 2 hours. At this point it was only 2am, so we decided to go to a boliche (club) and piled into a couple of taxis (which are driven like race cars by the way). The clubs are WAY outside of town and we finally decided on one to go into about 2:30. The music was interesting (considering that none of the songs were ones we were familiar with and they were all in spanish). They weren't easy to dance to either, but we still had a blast! By 4am we were all exhausted and headed home. Apparently this is an early night for argentina where most clubs are open until 5:30am!!! I certainly will not be doing that every night...

Last night I was pretty tired and decided to stay in, so one of my friends from the program came to my apartment to chill too. We decided to go get something to eat and immediately thought McDonald's! But here they close at 12am... so we hit up a 24hr hot dog restaurant instead. Louisa ordered the equivalent of a "spring hot dog" and was surprised to find out that it was a bun with lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, melted cheese, and fried egg. Interesting combination, but still good. Then we retreated back to the apartment for a relaxing cafe con leche and a movie. We finally decided on Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 and in order to practice our spanish watched it in spanish with english subtitles... :)

Other than that, there isn't much new to tell. We start looking at classes next week. As of now, I have a list of 14 that I'm interested in and just have to narrow it down by visiting the classes, meeting the professors etc. Its going to be an adventure and I'm certainly stressed out about it, but it'll all be fine with the help of the staff.

Tomorrow Sole is taking me with her and her friends to San Juan, which is the province to the north of Mendoza. I'm not exactly sure what is so special about where we're going, but from what I could catch, it has something to do with an old legend from the town and some sort of miracle that occurred there with water a long time ago...I'm sure I'll understand a lot more after our adventure. We have to leave absurdly early though!!! 8am is when our bus leaves and we'll be back at 5pm (just in time for siesta!!!).

I hope you all are doing well! All my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment